I have a bit of a crush on maple syrup and to start the maple syrup season off I’m sharing one of my new favourite loaf recipes, which of course, includes maple syrup and a maple granola. I also kind of have a new rule about loaves and muffins that Im sharing with all of you; if the recipe is not going to make enough for my family to enjoy and share with guests (or freeze for a later date) I’m not making it. So I’ve made this a two-loaf recipe for that reason. As a mom of two, I don’t have time to bake everyday. Who am I kidding; I didn’t have time to bake everyday before kids, now it’s just crazy talk. But we do really love freshly baked goods over here at our house and I also love sharing them with friends. So it’s crucial that any recipe I develop, or try, makes enough for the whole family and some to share with friends.
Maple syrup might be a bit of an obsession for me. I literally put that _ _ _ _ on everything! From salad dressings to baked goods and of course, pancakes; maple syrup is a staple at our house! We started taking our oldest to the maple syrup festival last year and it will probably become a tradition for us. We love learning the history and process of making maple syrup and obviously the sampling. This recipe incorporates maple syrup to add a unique flavour and sweetness. The granola gives it a delicious crunch and the syrup also helps to keep the loaf moist.
Maple Granola Banana Bread
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup granola (for crust)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
- Mash bananas.
- Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt in one bowl (set aside).
- Mix eggs, sugar, maple syrup and butter until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well.
- Add bananas and fold in walnuts.
- Pour batter into pans dividing evenly between two loaf pans.
- Sprinkle granola on top of the batter and pat down gently to form a crust.
- Bake for 55 min on the centre rack.
- Let stand for at least 20 -30 minutes to cool before serving.