Rachel and I met for the first-time last spring at The Bump to Baby Show, an urban family marketplace that she and her best friend founded. Rachel welcomed me with open arms and took me around to check out all of the fabulous booths at the show. Rachel and Mira have put together a series of shows that are a celebration of Toronto’s finest shops and I can’t wait for the next one on October 21.
Fast-forward a few months after we’d met, and I had the pleasure of sitting down for coffee and ice-cream, with Rachel and her three lovely children. We had an eventful chat that started with a wasp sting. While we were sitting at our table, Rachel was stung by a wasp (something that would have made me scream, cry and potentially run) but Rachel, on the other hand, calmly acknowledge that the wasp had stung her and continued the conversation while icing the sting. It was grace under fire at its finest; wasp sting, interview with three kids in tow and she didn’t miss a beat. It’s no wonder this mama can juggle so many things, she has a calm demeanour and such a positive outlook.
I am so happy to introduce Rachel Schwartzman; mom of three, Naturopathic Dr., Doula, Acupuncturist and the Co-founder of The Bump to Baby Show as this month’s creative career mom!
- Rachel you have so many amazing things on the go; you’re a Naturopathic Dr., a Doula, acupuncturist and the Co-founder of The Bump to Baby Show! Can you tell us a little bit more about all that you do?
I am also a mom to three kids! I do a lot. I’ve always been busy and passionate about the things that excite me. I enjoy getting creative with healthy food in the kitchen and love getting my kids involved. It’s more hectic and messy, but I do believe when you surround children with real food, they will eat it and love it!
- With so many wonderful things on the go, there must be some common threads between them. What are some of the ways that you bring your love of health, wellness and motherhood together?
The common thread is my love for naturopathic medicine. My practice focus is family medicine. My doula work stems from that and from my personal (and traumatic) experience of becoming a mom with my first born almost 12 years ago. The Bump to Baby Show encompasses it all. Bringing community together, to help families make better choices, to provide a space for people to mingle and not be isolated. Parenthood can be tough and lonely. It’s so much more fun when we can do it together!
- In addition to all of this you also run a beautiful blog from your website: http://www.rachelschwartzman.com/blog. I love seeing all of your posts and your plant-based recipes all look delicious! As a Naturopathic doctor eating well must be such a huge part of what you suggest to your patients. What role does food and healthy eating play in your work and everyday life?
First off, I don’t always eat healthy! But I mostly do. It comes down to what makes me feel better. For me, when I eat crappy food I feel like crap. I’m moody, bloated, and my energy levels are low. I truly love eating well. Plus for me, nothing is better than real food!
- I’m sure you’ve been asked this a million times, but as a wellness expert and mother of three, I’d love to hear your advice and your take on balance! How do you balance work, motherhood and family life?
Oh, Balance. It’s always a struggle. I’ve called myself a juggler many times, and it’s a tough act with so many balls in the air at the same time. I do better with movement and being outdoors. I play tennis and hit a yoga class, these activities feed me. I also practice mindfulness. I think we spend a lot of time thinking (and catastrophizing) future events/projects, and it always works out just fine. I encourage people to live in the present.
- In addition to your health and wellness work you’ve also co-founded The Bump to Baby Show! Can you tell us a bit more about this project and what we can expect at the October show?
Me and my bestie, Mira co-founded the show as a way to bring the best the city has to offer to families. We have an amazing marketplace, delicious food, kids activities (yoga, music, arts), guest speakers, raffled items and swag bags! The show is popping up east-side on October 21st at The Riverdale Hub. We have had an outpouring from the east end community. It’s so exciting. Putting on a large event is a lot of work, but it’s always worth it. It’s a really fun day.
- You are one busy mama! What keeps you motivated to pursue all of these awesome wellness and creative ventures?
I think when you love what you do, it doesn’t feel like work. When you are passionate about your projects, it comes off pretty easily. It’s not to say the work is easy, I am always looking for more hours in the day!
- As someone who has pursued so many amazing creative and wellness avenues what advice would you offer to mamas hoping to follow their dreams and start a new business or dive into something creative?
I think you need to love what you are doing. Mix in passion with being authentic, and the magic happens. It’s a perfect recipe.
*If you are interested in attending The Bump to Baby Show the next one is coming up on October 21, 2017. Head on over to The Bump to Baby Show for more details and tickets.