When I started the Creative Career Mom’s series I was so inspired by mothers who found their way, amongst diapers and daydreams, to turn their creative passions into a dream job. Amanda of Toth of Bébé de Luxe did just that; she turned a hobby, creating gifts for her friend and their little ones, into a creative career and has not looked back!
Like many of the mamas I’ve worked with in the past, Amanda and I connected on Instagram, a social media platform that has become such an amazing outlet for creatives to share their work and connect. Amanda has been such a pleasure to work with and I can’t say enough about her Coconut & Oat Bath; my skin feels like silk when I get out of the bath and it’s so amazing to have an all natural, organic product to bathe our little one with. Amanda has truly thought of everything, a clean, calming and gentle product that is good for baby, mom and dad!
I am so happy to share Amanda’s entrepreneurial story as this month’s creative career mom!
- When I learned that your little one inspired your company, I had to hear more! Can you tell me a little bit about the story behind Bébé de Luxe?
The first batch of Bébé de Luxe was a DIY Christmas gift for my friends and their babies. Everyone loved it and suggested I start selling, which at first seemed crazy, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought – why not? Once I set my mind to it, everything came together rather quickly and opportunities started rolling in. I didn’t have a business plan and said yes to every opportunity that came my way. I actually do have a business plan for 2016 and am so excited to see where this year takes us!
- I love the simplicity of your products; when it comes to choosing food, soaps and fibres for our little ones, I truly believe less is more. Can you describe the products for me?
Our flagship product is our signature Coconut & Oat Milk Bath, a simple mixture of soothing ingredients that are very gentle but still cleanse baby’s sensitive skin. It is intended to replace soap and in fact you don’t really want to use soap with it because you’ll wash away all of the “good stuff”.
We have intentionally kept the formula simple and use only food-grade, certified organic ingredients. As a parent, I wanted to be sure that other parents could read our label and know exactly what they are using on their babies. I also want to educate people that you don’t need a whole bunch of chemicals to get clean.
- We all love good, clean products for our little ones, but these products are for the whole family! This is amazing! As a mama who has recently re-discovered the calming nature of bathing, I am so excited to hear about the benefits for mama and papa!
It didn’t take long to realize that BdL was too good for just the babies. It truly is a luxury product because the luxury of time is so precious for mom’s especially. Taking the time out of your day or week to treat yourself to a soak is a true indulgence. As moms we are constantly putting the needs of others above our own, taking an hour a week for ourselves shouldn’t actually be considered indulgent or a luxury, it should be the “norm”. I want BdL to be a part of a movement that ensures moms start putting themselves first for even one hour a week.
- Starting a new business can be scary and incredibly challenging, and with the added pressures of being a new mom, even more so. Can you explain how you started a company while juggling the workload that comes with being a new mom?
Lucky for us Canadians, we get a full year of maternity leave, which is what really made Bébé de Luxe possible. I was about 6 months in to my maternity leave when I decided to move forward with the business. I spent all of my time after Rian went to bed and most naptimes working on the business. I am also blessed with a wonderful mom who helps with everything she can, whether that means watching Rian or helping with production. My husband also helps with post office runs and picking up supplies for me. It’s definitely not a one-woman show over here and when I went back to my full-time job at the beginning of September, I started to feel like I was in over my head. I now have an amazing team of women helping with all levels of production and packaging. When you buy Bébé de Luxe you are supporting local families.
- The mompreneur “world” is one that is rapidly growing, opening new doors for moms and creating a wonderful community of women working towards their dreams. As a fellow mompreneur, what kind of experiences and connections have you made along the way that helped shape you and Bébé de Luxe?
The journey has truly been amazing and more uplifting than anything else I have done in my life. Never have I encountered such a positive and kind group of women as I have in the Vancouver mamapreneur scene. No matter how busy some of my business idols are, they are always willing to give advice and insight or sometimes just listen. The great thing about it is, no matter what I have encountered, someone else has already figured it out or been through something similar.
- Finally, from one mompreneur to another, we all know that the “hustle is real!” What are some tips you can offer to new mompreneurs hoping to carve their own way? And what are some of your hopes for the future of Bébé de Luxe?
I think recognizing your limitations is key and there is no shame in acknowledging that you can’t do it all. I tell everyone that will listen I am not superwoman and I don’t do it all. I don’t work out and I hardly ever cook, my hair gets washed less than it should and I live off coffee.
Our little man absolutely loves bathtime and I am so happy to share one of our favourite bathtime products with all of you!
I have partnered with Bébé de Luxe to offer one lucky winner a $25 shop credit. For extra entries follow Josephine: a Creative Life blog (link on the sidebar) for more giveaway details head over to Instagram!
Disclosure: Companies featured in this series often sponsor my posts and, or send products for review. If I love the company and their products, I am more than happy to share them with you!