We have a bit of a Christmas morning tradition in our house where we love to make brunch with our family after the kids have finished opening their gifts. One of our favourites is Italian Style French Toast. We always have a loaf or half loaf of Italian bread in the house, especially around the holidays, so it’s the perfect brunch option.
This holiday season I had the chance to make it with the Le Creuset Cast Iron Skillet and it cooks like a dream! Honestly, nothing sticks to the skillet, the heat is distributed so evenly and clean-up is so easy because the mess just wiped off.
I shared the recipe for our Italian Style French Toast on the blog a few years ago, but I’ve included it below as well, just in case you wanted to try it out for Christmas brunch this year too!
Italian Style French Toast
8 slices of Calabrese bread
6 large eggs
½ cup of milk
½ teaspoon of vanilla
1 tbsp white sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
1 teaspoon of butter (to melt on the frying pan)
Pure Maple Syrup
- Mix eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl until well combined.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Dip slices of bread in the egg mixture until well coated on both sides (the bread should soak up the mixture a bit). As you dip the bread add it to the frying pan one slice at a time.
- Fry on the first side for 2-3 min and then flip, frying on the second side for 2 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with Maple Syrup and extra butter.
Happy Holidays & Enjoy!